[WikiEN-l] Support freedum of infromashuon

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 23:49:15 UTC 2005

(Appears that I mispelled "informashion" in the
subject.)

Well, you correctly mention China and its quite proper
to focus a great deal of energy on their restrictions
on information and communication. (Do they block
Wikipedia because of communication or information
reasons?). In that regard, the esteemed founder took a
wisely netural and non-provocative course. In a
country where there is no established freedom of
speech, it may not be polite to assume that arguements
based on local free speech concepts are valid over
there. The UK however has a substantial
English-speaking population, and likewise a tradition
of emulating and deferring to American concepts of
personal liberty etc. The current case is of course an
important and interesting anomaly, and its a good
thing to see that Wikipedias users have used WP:ITN to
properly feature an important story that American
media has left alone, and which UK media lack the
liberty to properly investigate.

Certainly I think the issue is best targeted to
Wikisource, and I listed a request at Talk:Main Page
to put the banner up. Im not being a hard on about it
- I think its appropriate that it generate discussion,
and it may be that as far as Public domain documents
go, the Al Jazeera bombing memo might just be the most
interesting source document in the world right now.
IAC it would be nice to define where the community
line ends, between what Jimbo may mutter in the field,
and what people actually think.

Stevertigo
 Voting is only evil if its rigged