[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 17:58:58 UTC 2005

Norvy wrote:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=SablePlante.JPG
>>

>>yet another image deleted
>>*without any personal warning to the uploader
>>*even though it was uploaded before the tags ever existed...
>>
>>I find that pityful. Really pityful. Really really pityful.
>

> To be fair, you were asked to tag them on December 16th, 2004.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anthere/box#Image_tagging
> Seems like plenty of warning to me.
> --
> Norvy

see for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anthere/box#Unverified_images

it says

Hi! Thanks for uploading the following image:
	▪ 	Image:DjeDje.jpg
	▪ 	Image:Dune.JPG
I notice it currently doesn't have an image copyright tag. Could you add
one to let us know its copyright status? (You can use {{gfdl}} if you
release it under the GNU Free Documentation License, {{fairuse}} if you
claim fair use, etc.) If you don't know what any of this means, just let
me know at my talk page where you got the images and I'll tag them for
you. Thanks so much. [[User:Poccil|Peter O. (Talk, automation script)]]
04:02, Dec 11, 2004 (UTC)
P.S. You can help tag other images at User:Yann/Untagged_Images. Thanks
again.

Which perfectly made it possible to claim fair use at that time.
I put a few under fair use, at that time, which was clearly allowed.
And a year later, they are speedy deleted, without warning, for lack of
compliance.
I had no reason to guess this change of policy, that makes fair use on
user page now forbidden.

Sorry, is that FAIR ?

I do not think so.
I think what would be fair is that when *policy changes*, uploaders are
individually told so.

Ant