[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 15:35:13 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I ask the question, because many pictures of many editors are taken
> during wikimeetups. If the pictures are labelled with a non-restricted
> use, that should mean that anyone can use a picture of the face of a
> wikipedian to do anything that he would like to. If the pictures are
> labelled with a restricted use and used only in non-article space, do
> they qualify as "speedy deletion" as my pictures did ?

I don't think so. While personally I'd prefer all images to be freely licensed,
I don't think it matters that much if photos of Wikipedians and other images in
User space are non-free. After all, they're not part of the encyclopedia, and
the goal is to build a free encyclopedia -- the freedom of user pages is
largely irrelevant.

Such images would, at least to my mind, be distinct from images that appear to
be intended for the main encyclopedia, yet are not used and are unfree -- like
the one you mentioned earlier.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com