[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:01:14 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=SablePlante.JPG
> >

> > yet another image deleted
> > *without any personal warning to the uploader
> > *even though it was uploaded before the tags ever existed...
> >
> > I find that pityful. Really pityful. Really really pityful.
> >

> > Ant
>
> I would like a clarification, because I must have missed some step possibly.
>
> I thought fair use images were still authorized on the english
> wikipedia. Is that still the case or not ?
>
> Ant

Unlicensed media are allowed on the English Wikipedia only when they
are being used under the fair use doctrine in at least one article.
There can be no fair use justification for keeping unlicensed media on
the server which are not actually being used in any article (fair use
requires that there actually be some use).  We allow a seven day
window so that someone who uploads unlicensed media with the intent to
attach them to an appropriate article has some time to actually do so.

This particular image appears to have been unused, and was therefore
deleted as orphaned unlicensed media.

Kelly