[WikiEN-l] Non-commercial only and By Permission Only Images to be

Puddl Duk puddlduk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:02:59 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05, Mike Finucane <mike_finucane at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was going to enrich Wikipedia with a whole bunch of my images, but
> quite frankly, i dont want someone getting rich off my work.
> As such, I was intending to add creative commons no commercial use tags.
>
> Then I come across this note from you:
>
> "All images which are for non-commercial only use and by permission only
> > are not acceptable for Wikipedia and _will be deleted_.  We have
> > tolerated them for some time..."
>
> Well fear not; you wont have to tolerate any of my images.
>
> I'm going to have to re-evaluate contributing to wikipedia if its based
> on providing source material for commercial companies.
>
> Feel free to explain WHY you have this policy; but I have to say your
> explanation above wasnt very tactful or conducive to goodwill on my
> part.

Allowing commercial use is a big part of the engine that makes open
source work.  Wikipedia couldn't reach as many people without our
commercial mirrors (who operate for profit). And our commercial
mirrors bring in new business, make donations and have helped pay
wages for Wikipedia employees. The GFDL explicitly makes room for
commercial uses, while limiting them somewhat.

Also, Mike, when you license your images per the GFDL you still own
them, and you can still use them for your own commercial purposes.

Finally, commercial re-use of Wikipedia isn't limited to certain
people, you can take part too.