[Fwd: Re: [WikiEN-l] Licensing for community images]

Thue Janus Kristensen thuejk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:15:33 UTC 2005

The point made by Justinc has merit. Allowing mirrors to redistribute user
pages and user talk pages serves as biographical info and documents the
process of building the encyclopedia.

My first thought was to change the proposal to allow reuse of the images
with the condition that the pages they are used in are substantially
unchanged (there is no legitimate reason to distribute a substantially
changed version of my user page). However, this modified proposal would
still cause problems with the use of images on talk pages, and there are
legitimate reasons for the distribution of substantially changed versions of
talk pages (like continuing the debate in a fork of Wikipedia).

So after some though, I have decided to not modify the proposal, but let it
stand as it is. The use of non-redistributable community images is intended
to be limited, and the impact of a mirror not having the image of me on
their copy of my user page is small.

Regards
-Thue