[WikiEN-l] Re: Lauritsen speedy deletion??

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Wed Nov 23 11:47:27 UTC 2005

On 23 Nov 2005, at 02:51, geni wrote:

> Vandals don't seem to have much effect on this area. Most vandalism I
> see does not ivolve fair use images.
>
>> My basic point remains. An image should never be speedy-deleted soley
>> because it's an orphan, because with the current software there's
>> no way
>> to tell whether its orphanhood is a temporary state. Such images
>> should
>> be given more careful consideration, at the very least a time
>> delay to
>> allow for the possibility that its orphan status will change in
>> the near
>> future.
>>

> As and when you find us enough admins to do the above we will. Untill
> then mass deletion is the only tool in the box.

And you (not geni, bryan) didnt bother to read my email that pointed
out that
the current process notifies the uploader and waits a week after tagging
the image is orphaned fair use and then checks it is still orphaned.

This isnt written in the policy but its the current process, because it
is easier to operate in fact.

See http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/cgi-bin/
report_orphan_fair_use.py
and discussion on WP:FU