[WikiEN-l] Lauritsen speedy deletion??

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Tue Nov 22 16:34:54 UTC 2005

Sam Korn wrote:

>On 11/21/05, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Is research more difficult to perform during those hours for some
>>reason?  Is Google less accessible, perhaps, or do your arms tire and
>>becom unable to lift books from the shelf and open them?  Assuming
>>that both of those circumstances pertain, perhaps you should refrain
>>from performing RC patrol at that time of day.  Especially if it may
>>lead to your deletion of articles without bothering to perform any
>>research.
>>

>If pages filling the speedy criteria during those hours, I will not be
>doing research to rescue them.  At other times, the amount of
>vandalism is far lower, so there's more time to research.  My method
>is fully within policy.
>
>--
>Sam

This debate strikes me as being one, at its core, about eventualism
versus immediatism. Tony is arguing that the encyclopedia will clean
itself up eventually, and that if in doubt, it's better to leave
possible CSDs alone. Sam and geni are arguing from an immediatist
perspective, that if it can't be cleaned up immediately and is of no
encyclopedic value *as it is now*, then it's best junked. Sam is right
in that his approach is compliant with existing policy, as he is
deleting articles of no encyclopedic value. Tony is also justified in
saying that it may be better to clean up the article and replace the
unencyclopedic material instead of outright deleting.

I'd say it depends on how much time you have, and what you prioritise:
an enyclopedia with minimal chance of someone hitting the random page
button and receiving an article consisting of "dis d00d is kewl", or an
encyclopedia where the article says "{{cleanup}} dis dood is kewl". Both
types of people, IMO, should just go ahead and doing what they feel is
right, as this seems to be a matter of pure personal preference. In the
end, things will work out: people will come along and recreate a proper
version of the article if it's deleted, and if the article was pure
junk, then not much has been lost.

As Dpbsmith has often said on VfD/AFD, in the long run, it matters
little whether these articles are kept or deleted. Nobody should lose
too much sleep, if any, over this issue.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])