[WikiEN-l] Interpreting merge votes (was Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias)

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:55:35 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> The suggestion to merge is a vestige from a time when VfD was about
> reaching consensus about what to do rather than about voting and
> counting votes.  If you want to count votes, then I guess you could
> take two positions.  The first, which I'll call the Al Gore position,
> is to try to figure out whether the voter intended the merge vote to
> mean delete or not delete.  The second, which I'll call the George W.
> Bush position, is to throw out the vote as invalid.
>
> I'd like to take this moment to thank the arb com for banning me from
> participating in the joke that has become AfD.

Ah, the old days!  It's an interesting social phenonemon that people
almost always think that what went before was better.  Here, they're
right.

Are people really going to say that the old consensus style was worse
than the current voting style?  I think that it is exactly the "this
means keep and this means delete" atmosphere that has created the
malodious pit that is AfD today.

--
Sam