[WikiEN-l] Re: Lauritsen speedy deletion??

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Mon Nov 21 18:40:07 UTC 2005

On 21 Nov 2005, at 18:31, geni wrote:

> On 11/21/05, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> geni wrote:
>> These are have all essentially been marked as speedies already
>> ("tagged") by the with-permission template.
>
> Not always correctly
>
>> One should not be speedy deleting orphan images the first time you
>> notice that they're orphaned. What if they're only orphaned for that
>> particular moment because the article that normally uses them has
>> been
>> vandalized, and is going to be fixed in a few hours to use them
>> again?
>> Since image deletion is irreversable, extra care should be taken with
>> such things and something akin to the tag-and-bag approach should be
>> done regardless of whether it's a general policy. I'd suggest
>> putting it
>> on IfD, in fact, to make sure it gets a few days' delay before the
>> time
>> comes to wipe it.
>
> Can IFD cope with 5000 images?

It coped with over 500 the other week.

There is a bot to help with orphaned fair use images which tags them,
notifies, waits a week and adds them to a list for deletion. I havent
had any complaints from anything I have deleted under this process.
They go away if they become used within the week.

Justinc