[WikiEN-l] Another Webcomics Bit

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 02:33:13 UTC 2005

Just as a heads up, while you were indulging in the usual
masturbatory discussions of whether AfD is deeply flawed again that
seem to follow every time I point this out, Dragonfiend put the
recently concluded Checkerboard Nightmare on AfD. His nomination was,
as far too many nominations in far too many fields are, borne of out
and out ignorance - nobody who is remotely knowledgable about
webcomics would even think to propose Checkerboard Nightmare for
deletion. But, of course, the votes of people who know what they're
talking about continue to have active voice with the people who have
decided that ridding Wikipedia of the scourge of webcomics (or blogs)
(or whatever) is their mission in life.

The article isn't going to get deleted, so don't rush off to find it
and vote to keep - it's fine. But go ahead and have a look at http://
www.websnark.com/archives/2005/11/however_the_ent.html so you can see
Wikipedia take another prominent hit from an important member of the
webcomics community. Compare that to http://www.websnark.com/archives/
2004/11/a_modest_webcom.html a year ago. In the past year, we have
taken someone who was strongly pro-Wikipedia and turned him into
someone who thinks we suck. Someone prominent, influential, and,
frankly, damn respectable.

So, yeah. AfD? Still broken. Still driving people away. Still
generating ill will, bad faith, and bad decisions.

Carry on your fiddling. I'm gonna go get front row seats for when the
Colosseum ignites.

-Phil