[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias (was Howdidthis happen (comixpedia??))

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 20 04:01:38 UTC 2005

Mark Gallagher wrote:

> It's not accurate to say that merge == keep *or* that merge == delete.
> Merge == merge.  Fortunately, it's usually the people pushing an
> "inclusionist" or "deletionist" view that take the "merges should be
> reinterpreted" line, and not the closing admins.

They do have to interpret it one way or the other, though, since except
in the rare case of history merges it comes down to a binary decision of
either pressing the "delete" link or _not_ pressing the "delete" link.
Merge votes push the result one way or the other, don't they?

Perhaps we're talking at cross-purposes through differing
interpretations of exactly what is meant by "keeping" an article or
"deleting" it? It seems like a very black-and-white situation to me.