[WikiEN-l] Interpreting merge votes (was Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias)

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 20 03:54:42 UTC 2005

Craig Schiller wrote:

>Actually, GFDL quite specifically *requires* that if an article is
>merged into another one, the old title has to be kept as a redirect in
>order to preserve the edit history.
>
>This is what's meant by "merge and delete is not a possible vote". We
>can all *imagine* situations where it's the preference we would *want*
>to express, but that's a moot point: it's quite explicitly not a
>*permissible* vote under the terms of GFDL.

Ah, I hadn't considered that. How could a merge ever result in a delete,
then? To comply with the GFDL we'd have to do one of those
delete-move-restore tricks that would shuffle the two edit histories
together, and if the two articles had never been together before that
would probably result in a bit of a mess.