[WikiEN-l] need to work out clear policies onMANDATORYandOPTIONAL rules on WP

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Nov 20 00:51:30 UTC 2005

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>2. I am *ALSO* saying that letting a government tell Wikipedia what to
>do is a dangerous erosion of our editorial independence. We can simply
>say in the article that Ivory Coast's government "forbids" anyone -
>inside or outside their jurisdiction - to translate the country's name
>(if this is really so). But since our servers are in Florida, I think we
>can safely assume we are outside their jurisdiction.

This argument is particularly laughable.  I don't think anyone on either
side is arguing on the basis that any country's courts will be charging
anyone for improper use of the country's names.  Just because a country
has laws to establish standards or procedures doesn't mean that they
will ever need to argue the details in court.  Respect for a country's
laws goes much deeper than a simple fear of prosecution.

Ec