[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Nov 19 23:02:00 UTC 2005

Jack Lynch wrote:

>Regrding anti-expert bias, does anyone think verifiable experts should
>be allowed to cite themselves when editing wiki articles relating to
>their skills? I'm not sure what I think, but it seems an important
>question. I can definitely see it being a major step towards a
>citable, peer-reviewed journal level of quality.

I don't see how that would help at all; quite the opposite.  I'm not in
favor of a blanket prohibition against citing yourself, but it should be
viewed with caution and vetted by others.

This isn't unique to Wikipedia, anyway.  In "real" academic
publications, the same caveat applies: People are much more likely to
cite themselves in situations where it is not really appropriate to do
so.  This is why, when citation indices are compiled, self-citations
aren't included in the counts.

-Mark