[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias

Jack Lynch jack.i.lynch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 15:56:57 UTC 2005

The academics at my uni think the wikipedia is mildly offensive, in
the sense that they enjoy being paid to write
books/journals/whathaveyou, and don't enjoy seeing amateurs giving it
away for free. Because of this, and our noticable failings, students
are penalised if they attempt to cite the wikipedia as a source at my
uni.

I just now returned from an 8 hour seminar wherein we were repeatedly
informed that free, non-governmental information on the internet is
dubious at best, and should be avoided for anything other than
commercial or general knowledge queries. Instead, the online
university  database was praised (it includes a subscription to
britannica, btw ;)

Jack (Sam Spade)