[WikiEN-l] need to work out clear policies on MANDATORY and OPTIONAL rules on WP

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 00:29:02 UTC 2005

On 18/11/05, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:

> Stating your case more forcefully doesn't qualify as evidence. Since
> you don't describe your sources of information,

As far as I can tell, the sources of information are users of the
English language, of course. Well, excepting encyclopedias, since for
some reason encyclopedias don't count. Or people who, in their
professional life, deal with the names of countries, since they're
diplomats and diplomats call countries by the name they ask people to
use, which shouldn't count. Or the Economist, because, well, they're
the Economist and a bit funny in the head. Or anyone who also speaks
French. Or anything produced by the US Government. Or, indeed,
regional sources. Or English-speaking Ivorians. Or the United Nations.
Or any result from a google search, because they're horribly
unreliable except when they get the right answer. Or any "myths" about
what people may use.

So, basically, any major source except the ones which use Cote
d'Ivoire, since we've just proven they don't count, use Ivory Coast,
and anyone who remembers Cote d'Ivoire in common use obviously needs
their ears tested and is really just voting to suspend policy for
their own nefarious reasons anyway.

Case closed!

[And I wonder *why* I get irritated about this debate...]

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk