[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 17 21:31:56 UTC 2005

Tom Cadden wrote:

>--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Unlike many
>>other French-speaking
>>countries the official name for English purposes is
>>the French one.  See
>>the member list for the United Nations at
>>http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html  This does
>>not mean that other
>>French speaking countries follow the same practice.
>>The Central African
>>Republic does not appear as République
>>Centraficaine.
>>

>That is irrelevant. The official name of the Republic
>of Ireland is Poblacht na hÉireann. We do not use it.

Nor is the Irish language name a part of the English language list of UN
members.  (I can't remember for sure if "Eire" was ever on that list,
but if it were that would be a valid argument for changing our entry.)

>>Maybe the US State Department is just following the
>>UN lead on this.
>>The proportion of newspapers and websites using the
>>English name is
>>irrelevant.  The position of official Ivoirian sites
>>is more influential.
>>

>The position of Ivoirian sites is irrelevant. This is
>not an Ivoirian encyclopædia but an English language
>one that does not write its articles to suit
>governments and official sites.

I didn't say simply "Ivoirian sites" but "official Ivoirian sites" such
as the English language materials from their embassies.

>>Determining the official name of a country is not a
>>matter for voting.
>>That is a sure way of having facts overwhelmed by
>>ignorance.
>>

>I'm surprised you don't know that WP policy IS to
>decide the location of an article by voting. It is
>done through requesting moves and voting on them. It
>is a standard procedure used throughout WP.

That only proves the point about voting being evil.  With enough
flunkies behind it any POV can prevail.

Ec