[WikiEN-l] need to work out clear policies on MANDATORY andOPTIONAL rules on WP

Tom Cadden thomcadden at yahoo.ie
Thu Nov 17 18:51:17 UTC 2005

As has been pointed out repeatedly, the MoS does not say 'do what Brittanica does' Brittanica is a business-orientated hardcopy encyclopædia which follows governmental usage to avoid offending native populations because it needs them to buy their product. It is called sometimes 'Strategic Naming'.

 They follow their own MoS. We follow ours. Ours is not business based but based exclusively on the most common name principle. Objective evidence shows that the most common name of that state, as evidenced by surveys of communication vehicles worldwide, is 'Ivory Coast' by a ratio of 85:15 over Cote d'Ivoire.

 They have to follow their MoS which follows 'Strategic Naming'. We have to follow ours, which follows 'Most Common Name'. Under our MoS the name we are obliged to place the name at is Ivory Coast. Their MoS, following their criteria, produces a result that is irrelevant to us.

charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote: Tom Cadden wrote

> A classic example is one vote where over twenty users have voted to put a
> page at the location that is contrary to MoS policy. Arguments ranged from
>
> * well I like that name
> * well I always use it
> * I personally haven't heard any other name used
> * the Government wants it
> * it will eventually become widespread
> * I hope it eventually becomes widespread
> * I think it will eventually become widespread
> * we should be encourging it to become widespread
> * I think the old name is colonial
> and a lot of others.

Including, which you don't mention, this: "A republic of West Africa, Côte
d'Ivoire lies on the Gulf of Guinea."  From the Encyclopedia Britannica,
which pays people to get it right.

Enough wikilawywering already.

Charles