[WikiEN-l] need to work out clear policies on MANDATORY and OPTIONAL rules on WP

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:41:12 UTC 2005

On 11/17/05, Tom Cadden <thomcadden at yahoo.ie> wrote:
>  One second issue: if we require 'most commonly used name in English' (or in whatever language in another Wikipedia) we need to be able to define an independent, verifiable, objective methodology for establishing what is the most commonly used name in English.

We have a set of criteria.  We apply these in the ways that seem best
to us.  It's called "consensus" decision making.  What it doesn't
involve is shoving your opinion down the throats of those who
disagree.  Nor does it involve repeatedly making the same point.  If
people didn't notice your point the first time, fine, repost it.  What
you got last time was people *disagreeing* with you.  Unless there's a
really really good reason, there's no need to make this mailing list
even more bitter by raking through problems that have just been
discussed at length.

I don't think there are any objective methodology in Wikipedia.
Everything is governed by common sense.  This is clearly less
inflammatory than forcing your opinion on others.

Sam