[WikiEN-l] People editing their own Wikipedia articles.

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Nov 17 16:45:12 UTC 2005

I don't think we should discourage good writers, who accept NPOV and
adhere to it, from editing their own articles. I encouraged free
software pioneer Richard Stallman to edit [[Richard Stallman]], after
painstakingly confirming his identity by phone and e-mail. He hasn't
gotten involved in edit wars or tried to censor negative POVs about
himself, has he?

I spent many hours of my time, helping controversial physicist Jack
Sarfatti to learn our ways. After a false start or two, he has managed
to avoid being banned again and has even stayed out of edit wars.

There is no reason to make notable people write autobiography
anonymously, provided (as Fred suggests) they DON'T "begin intensive
editing in order to remove negative information or add positive
information". When you look at the history or the diff, you'll see that
Stallman wrote "in Java" - meaning that he developed software while on
the Island of Java in Indonesia! And why shouldn't the source for this
bit of programming trivia be Stallman himself?

Ed Poor