[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia up and down

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 17 13:47:32 UTC 2005

"Neil Harris"

> Page view rates have been stuck on a plateau for about a month and a half,
> presumably due to server capacity saturation, which, given the continued
> rise in reach, can only get worse in the short term.

Agree.  OTOH WP is a reference site.  There will be many people who come to
WP with the aim of looking up some one thing.  This gives a natural pattern
of short visits, not surfing around.  The overall reach shows the users who
arrive knowing they want to look something up, plus the input from search
engines.  We shouldn't get too hung up about the number of page views.  If
people find what they want on the first page they view, so much the better.

Charles