[WikiEN-l] Fwd: FW: Billboard chart data licensing

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 17 01:28:33 UTC 2005

Brandon Cordy wrote:

>(we should probably move this discussion back to the mail list, but...)
>
>"A lesson to me?" I don't really care either way whether or not Wikipedia
>lists Billboard information; the legality of the issue was something that
>peopel felt should be inquired about (the question has been o nthe table for
>quite some time), and so it was. It's better to research something than to
>turn a blind eye to what very well could be an unallowable use of
>propriatery information.

The fact remains that information is not copyrightable; only its
presentation is.

If you copied the entire chart as presented by them that likely would be
a copyvio; reworking that information in your own way is likely acceptable.

"Unallowable use of proprietary information" suggests that you have
privileged access to that information and are somehow making public
something that should be confidential.

Research from a source which has vested interests is not reliable.

Ec