[WikiEN-l] re: Billboard charts

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Thu Nov 17 01:15:20 UTC 2005

On 16 Nov 2005, at 23:56, Sam Korn wrote:

> On 11/16/05, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/16/05, Brandon Cordy <b.touch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Actually, I kept talking to the Billboard rep, and he says he's
>>> willing to
>>> work out a cashless deal if we can send them traffic (which, as
>>> far as I
>>> know, we already do through the external links). We may not have
>>> to delete
>>> anything at all.
>>
>> Such a license would be unacceptable to Wikipedia.
>
> What if it were simply an agreement that Billboard would not sue so
> long as they were cited as a source?  That isn't a content licence,
> just an agreement to cite sources.
>
> Which we do anyway.
>
> This seems like more of Billboard's way of saving face than what could
> be considered a licence agreement.

Someone could just delete the citation though.

Also who would sign off on it on wikimedias side?

It depends on the wording. If we agree to link Billboard to an article
we write on Billboard it might be ok. I would be interested to know what
they might accept, but I cant think of much we would really accept.
Other
than them saying that they dont really own it. Would rather delete
stuff.

Justinc