[WikiEN-l] Fwd: FW: Billboard chart data licensing

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 02:43:31 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> IANAL and all that, but as long as we are not replicating chunks of
> the chart verbatim, merely stating that so-and-so song reached X
> position on the chart, then there won't be any problems. We're not
> possibly infringing any copyrights by simply stating what they ranked
> the song as. However, if we had an article which listed the top forty
> for a particular week, or something, that would not be ok.

I think extensive charts or graphs of Billboard chart position would
also be dubious.  A passing mention is one thing, compiling voluminous
data of Billboard chart positions another.  I'm thinking about the
week-by-week chart positions once found in the [[Ashlee Simpson]]
article, among others.

-Matt