[WikiEN-l] Re: How did this happen (comixpedia??)

Brown, Darin Darin.Brown at enmu.edu
Tue Nov 15 20:58:12 UTC 2005

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:22:10 +0000
> From: geni <geniice at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: How did this happen (comixpedia??)
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>
> Well establish some core criteria. At the moment there is nothing I
> can work from.
>
> even a list of things that should be cheaked to see if they estabilish
> notability
>
> (traffic, Author profile, firsts, influence would be a start along
> with ways to cheack this)

This is up to the webcomics people, yes. What I am saying is that I would
hope that individual knowledge and expertise would be a *part* (not all) of
the equation of determining notability. Note -- this is not the same as
*verifiability*. A fact is something verifiable. Notability is a judgment
that should be based on facts and, I think, knowledgeable opinions. I don't
think it's fair to say knowledgeable opinions have *no* place in determining
notability or that it will lead to a free-for-all. It's used in math and
scientific subjects all the time, and hasn't led to a free-for-all there.

> > I went there, it's all aimed toward popular music. There is nothing to
> stop
> > someone from knocking down a relatively obscure piano concerto because
> > they've never heard of it or the composer. Notability would come from
> the
> > reputation of the concerto in the music community and things that had
> been
> > written about it. But there could be very little written about it and
> still
> > be notable. You have to rely on judgment. And you can never formalize
> this
> > by writing more and more policies.
> >

> However since this doesn't seem to happen there is no reason to come
> up with a general aggrement at this time.

I have to admit, I have trouble understanding what you say a lot of the
time. What do you mean by "this"? What "happens"? "Agreement" for what? I
really don't understand what you're saying.

> Haven't a clue. I waiting for that project to make the articles human
> readerble finishes. In the meantime fear prevernts friverlous AFDs
> very nicely

Within just the past couple days, people have posted specific examples to
dispute this.

> > And that makes them experts? I drink coffee most days, but I don't think
> I'm
> > a coffee expert. I read newspapers, but don't think I'm a journalism
> expert.
> >

> No but it makes you part of the coffee drinking community. How do you
> deffine a memeber of the webcomic community?

Well, there are certainly different shades of membership, it's not a crisp
set. Same with anything. It's ridiculous to say anyone who drinks coffee is
a part of a "coffee drinking community". I would say a member of the "coffee
community" is either someone who has researched the topic themselves, has
experience in the field, has special knowledge about it, or just knows more
than the average joe. But to say that simply picking up a cup of coffee and
drinking it is in the same boat is ridiculous.

Similarly, everyone reads newspapers. But the entire world is not the
"journalistic community". There are a group of people who have devoted parts
of their lives to this endeavor and have special knowledge about it.

For webcomics, I would say that someone who casually reads them from time to
time, in the way one casually listens to pop songs on the radio or casually
flips through channels on the TV is not really a member of that community.
Again, there is no clear defining line.

> Not really. The relivant wikiprojects could probably come up with
> stardards pretty fast which would cover most cases. The fact is that
> the vast majority of cases go along the same lines with the same
> issues.

That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about AfD, not
wikiprojects. And I was saying, *if* the arguments I have seen used at AfD,
were used without fear and applied to math articles, many legitimate ones
would be in AfD purgatory.

darin