[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 14 23:22:24 UTC 2005

The more I learn of Wikipedia and the WP community, the more I think that
true wisdom lies not in being "right", but in finding a way to gain
consensus.

These sort of nit-picking skirmishes on minor details have the potential to
brew up into major wars. This particular one looks like a prime candidate
for WP:LAME. I honestly couldn't care which name is right. As an English
speaker, I would have thought that Ivory Coast would be the name we'd use
and Cote d'Ivoire the "local" name we'd use in the template. But there seem
to be arguments for both usages, and I cannot say that I am (or want to be)
an expert on the matter.

But, um, who really cares? From a usability point of view, readers seeking
information on this quaint nation will get to the same article whichever
name they type in. Isn't that the main thing?

Much to my bemusement, I see on the discussion page for the article that
this dispute has been running for over a year, and the article retains its
French name. Has anything changed recently to upset what is presumably
enough of a consensus to see stability for twelve months or so?

However, so long as the discussion remains civil, *shrug*

Peter (Skyring)