[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's provable anti-expertise bias (was How did this happen (comixpedia??))

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:09:11 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

> It depends on the expert.  On the one hand, an unbiased view on AfD is a
> very welcome thing.  Imagine if SPUI were the sole authority on what
> roadcruft we should keep, and what we should delete!  And yet, he's
> undeniably an amateur expert on transportation in the USA --- should his
> opinion count for more than the metric truckload of people who don't
> think an unnoteworthy back street encyclopaedic?

Actually from what I've seen SPUI does a convincing job on this
subject and I'd trust his judgement because of it.  Roads and the like
are pretty heavy duty things involving pretty massive amounts of work,
usually publicly organised, so it's a bit odd to see people nominating
articles on these massive slabs of tarmacadam for deletion in the
first place.  If the roads aren't particularly interesting in
themselves, then we should organise the information using our existing
redirect and merge features.