[WikiEN-l] Re: "Oh, Yuck: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:49:18 UTC 2005

geni wrote:
>On 11/15/05, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If it's not GFDL, then it is by definition not a fork of Wikipedia
> content. Either that or it's a violation of the license.

>As I said true forks are unlikely because the initial bulk of material
>you pick up will be beyond your rescourses to handle. What you see are
>the result of "wikipedia has some coverage of subject X but we want to
>do it in a different way" sometimes this means more of it, sometimes
>this means original reseach and some times this means POV.

This is hairsplitting over the definition of the word "fork". It's a
fork because the guy was trying to work within Wikipedia to write
encyclopedic articles and was driven off by anti-expert bias and
assumption of bad faith on AFD.

Comixpedia is not a fork of *content* - it's a fork of the
*community*. That is why that such a thing could happen is a BIG RED
FLASHING DANGER SIGNAL.

- d.