[WikiEN-l] Of Pokemon and baseball

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Nov 15 05:45:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Andrew Gray wrote:

> Incidentally, today's rather demoralising AfD: [[Wikipedia:Articles
> for deletion/Surviving veterans of the First World War]]. Nominated on
> _Sunday the 13th of November_. Oh, the timing.

That beats my latest encounter with the AfD Zone: consider a group
of articles cut-n-pasted from man pages that are part of the Debian
distro of Linux, nominated for deletion. While some of the reasons
offered for deletion were plausible, the nominator also added
that these articles were suitable candidates because they were
"copyright violations".

Maybe I'm just dense, but at least 2 other people agreed that they
were copyright violations, and not one bothered to explain how they
came to this counterintuitive conclusion. When I pressed for an
explanation, a terse reply pointed me to a section of a Wikipedia
article where it was stated that GPL was incompatible with GFDL. (No
explanation, just a bare statement.)

Last summer when I was at OSCON, I met the guy at the Free Software
Foundation who handles the legal questions about the GPL & GFDL.
If I ever find his business card, I will email him to see if the
hairs were split correctly in this case.

Geoff