[WikiEN-l] Totally unscientific investigation...

kosebamse at gmx.net kosebamse at gmx.net
Tue Nov 15 08:53:55 UTC 2005

m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au wrote

>Notable webcomics belong in Wikipedia.  Unconscionable fanwank belongs
>in Comixpedia.  Fortunately, with compatible licencing, we can share the
>best/worst of both.  That's why I (and I assume geni) don't think of
>Comixpedia as a Bad Thing: it's a filter.  Obviously, Comixpedia isn't a
>dumping ground for Wikipedia, but if they're willing to take what we
>don't want, and if we can import the stuff we do want but didn't
>realise, then that's good, surely?

Wikipedia needs more dumping grounds. We have seen that with trolls, some of
whom now spend their energy for the benefit of mankind on consumerium.org
and elsewhere. If people redirect their "fanwanking" activities to sites
outside Wikipedia, all the better.

Our central problem these days is the shitty quality of so many articles.
Just now I caught two conspicuous errors on today's featured article, and
that's supposed to be the best work that we can offer. Another example:
[[Fantasy literature]] of all things, is an absolute non-article. See also
the post that started this series of threads, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Carnildo/The_100 for more.

As long as we can't correct these and similar deficits, we don't need more
articles, and we certainly don't need more 20 kb articles about the hiding
tactics of some unknown ugly imp in an unknown video game (okay, I made that
up, but if you look into AFD or recent changes you'll know it's not
exaggerated).

kosebamse