[WikiEN-l] Totally unscientific investigation...

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 06:38:26 UTC 2005

G'day Tony,

> On 11/14/05, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 11/14/05, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Case where this happened really badly: webcomics. We now have a
>>>project fork, Comixpedia, entirely caused by AFD. You may recall
>>>extensive discussion surrounding this on this list a few weeks ago.
>>
>>You relise I don't view the existance of Comixpedia (other than their
>>choice to use CC) as a bad thing. Wikipedia needs these subject
>>specific spinoffs. I hope to see more of them.
>
> Why does Wikipedia need subject-specific spinoffs?

Worl, it's my view that Wikipedia needs articles on [[Elf Only Inn]].
It does *not* need articles on minor characters from EOI fanfic (if
there is such a thing).

Notable webcomics belong in Wikipedia.  Unconscionable fanwank belongs
in Comixpedia.  Fortunately, with compatible licencing, we can share the
best/worst of both.  That's why I (and I assume geni) don't think of
Comixpedia as a Bad Thing: it's a filter.  Obviously, Comixpedia isn't a
dumping ground for Wikipedia, but if they're willing to take what we
don't want, and if we can import the stuff we do want but didn't
realise, then that's good, surely?

Compare ABP and AFP.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"