[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 20:28:29 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I disagree with you Carbonite.
>
> And probably do all those who ever risked anything precious to support
> freedom.
>
> In memory of all those who became unofficial soldiers to liberate their
> country from a hostile invador.
> In memory of those who risked their lives to hide jews in their caves
> during WWII.
> In memory of women who were burned as witches for saving poor girls from
> an unwanted pregnancy.
> In memory of dissidents who lost their lives to ask for independance.
> In memory of journalists who died covering a war to provide *you* with
> information.
> In memory of encyclopedists who were exiled or put in jail for trying to
> publish enlightned encyclopedia de Diderot.
>
> Some people put the public good over their own private well-being. We
> have nothing to criticize, because if noone had done this in our
> countries, we would not savor our current freedom. The best we can do is
> at least to protect them to the best of our abilities.
>
> Ant

I think Carbonite's point was not to degrade the worthy efforts of
these people but to say that Wikipedia is not the forum for making
these points.  This is his viewpoint, and as such he is perfectly
entitled to it.  I disagree with him; I think anyone who edits under
these circumstances should know the inherent dangers of this.  I don't
think these dangers are any more relevant on this website, though,
than any other, especially considering the high level of scrutiny
placed upon the shoulders of these people.

Sam