[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Carbonite carbonite.wp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 18:58:57 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In case you are not aware of it, Yahoo recently helped the chinese
> government to uncover a chinese "dissident" and this lead the guy to
> prison. Have no doubts that some of our participants, in particular
> those from certain regions, or those participating to wikinews, are at
> the same amount of risk. *You* could yourself directly endanger a life
> in giving private information. I hope that in spite that you do not
> receive a sufficient financial compensation, you will be careful. I
> think feeling less responsability due to the fact you are not paid is
> not a very good approach of the tool.

 If someone's life or family is endangered by editing Wikipedia, they should
immediately stop. Seriously, if a user is in a situation where they'll lose
their job, freedom or life because of what they contribute to a website,
they need to take responsibility for themselves and cease all editing. Of
course we need to protect the privacy of all editors, and I fully support
removal of checkuser access for anyone who misuses the tool. However,
ultimately it up to the every user to ensure they're not putting themselves
at risk.
 Carbonite