[WikiEN-l] Probation Committee

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:36:57 UTC 2005

Arkady Rose wrote:

>There are enough accusations of major decision-making being made by
>"secret cabals" already as it is; this is just one more thing to
>substantiate such suspicians and conspiracy theories.

It's more a case of people using a handy real-time communication
mechanism to resolve a problem quickly. In this case it's potential
upside without much downside, and you can be sure lots of people will
be watching them like hawks.

Most, if not all, of the accusations of cabalism are spurious. You'll
also see a lot more of it on this list than is warranted, as wikien-l
is pretty much the official sewer for en:. The listadmins are a lot
nicer about letting people kicked off the wiki or ignored on the wiki
complain here.

Not everything should go through committee committees to form a
committee on the committees before someone can do something. We got a
taste of this with the checkuser issue just recently, where we slogged
through bureaucratic swamps for weeks, finally reached a decision,
then the stewards decided it'd be a fine idea to start the entire damn
discussion from scratch. Bureaucratic instruction creep.

- d.