[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 15:30:35 UTC 2005

G'day Chris,

> As both of you would face legal recourse if you were to divulge private
> information in your day jobs, what do you think the opposition to having
> a comparable legal agreement between the Foundation and people with
> checkuser is due to, given that the situation is reasonably similar?

On Wikipedia, they're valued, trusted volunteers.  In real life, they're
employees being paid to assume their responsibilities.

Volunteers like Sean and Kelly are valuable: they put in the equivalent
of an employee's work without the financial outlay.  Asking them to also
put their arses on the line is more likely to drive them away than
increase our security.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"