[WikiEN-l] How to properly penalise volunteers? (was Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:48:24 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:
>David Gerard wrote:

>> You mean, anyone who doesn't sign a legal document promising to pay a
>> notable penalty if the Foundation decides they've broken the privacy
>> policy should not be allowed access to the data? That sounds like a
>> great idea. We'll have an all-paid sysadmin team before you know it,
>> because every volunteer will get up and *leave*. Did that bit occur to
>> you?

>Of course it did. The consequences of it don't matter. What matters is
>that we treat personal information with the respect it deserves.

And we do. Your idea so far appears to have not much visible upside
and tremendous visible downside.

>I imagine there are alternative possibilities to the one you suggested.

Yes, like not doing something so jawdroppingly stupid.

You may think I am wrong on this (it's happened). If so, you may care
to run this excellent idea of yours past wikitech-l, where the devs
hang out. "You all need to sign a document saying you will be
penalised if the Foundation considers you have broken confidentiality.
What say you?" I look forward to seeing their responses.

- d.