[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Autymn D.C. lysdexia at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 14 01:57:13 UTC 2005

On 13 Nov 2005, at 07.10, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Hi Anthere
>
>> Checks should be done only on accounts doing abusive edits to
>> Wikipedia
>> (vandalism, insults, spam, defaming etc...)
>> If checks are done without any relevant reasons related to abuse, then
>> those checks are abusive and the person with the checkuser access
>> should
>> (will) lose it.
>
> Just like admins wrongfully blocking accounts are also supposed to
> have their admin status revoked? Please realize that the two actions
> have very different worst cases.
>
> Blocking: Worst case: You do not get to write in Wikipedia for a while.

/No/, you did not heed my email about my situation.  The worst case is
that one person is blocked who is the only person that can spot and fix
mistakes in articles that are getting more exposure, and that can
dispel wrong and harmful comments in the talk pages.  The longer the
absence, the more that readers will think that the last word is true,
when the qualified party is kept from having it.  The wrongful policers
must be punished for disrupting communications.

-Aut