[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 14 11:43:17 UTC 2005

"Tom Cadden" wrote

> Absolutely not. It is a fact that an article is being
> kept in a location against the explicit rules in the
> MoS but a vote of users of one particular language,
> many of whom seem intent on putting their defence of
> that language above Wikipedia's own rules.

Are you familiar with the idea of 'consensus'?

The 'users' of a particular language - would that include anyone (like me),
an anglophone who happens to have reasonably fluent French?

The trouble with the acrid tone of all this campaigning is three-fold:

- firstly, demonising anyone who happens to speak French is clearly going to
be more damaging than any _conceivable_ gain;

- secondly if the CIA says CI and the Library of Congress IC/CI then there
is probably something on both sides, but in no way justifying a
'steamroller' voting process which will not do any consensus-building (as a
name CI -brackets-IC might);

- thirdly, this is all one of Ed Poor's maleducated mares-nests anyway,
designed to split people along wacky doctrinaire lines.

Charles