[WikiEN-l] Usability

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:34:42 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, ABCD <en.abcd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking through the Helpdesk-l mailing list, it seems that some people
> are having a hard time finding the edit link at the top of the page,
> although they can find the edit links for the sections.  Should
> something be done about this?

Is the problem really that they can't find it, or just that they don't
know what it means? I remember seeing that link in early 2003 and I
had no idea at all that it actually meant *I* could edit that page,
though luckily I tried it anyway. :)

I don't know how to get across to people that they actually can edit
Wikipedia without introducing instruction creep onto every page. The
link is already expanded from the default "edit" to "edit this page"
and it now appears in bold text. I think the issue is more the concept
of an editable website that is difficult - not the format of the link.

Angela.