[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Nov 14 00:12:21 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:

> As both of you would face legal recourse if you were to divulge
> private information in your day jobs, what do you think the opposition
> to having a comparable legal agreement between the Foundation and
> people with checkuser is due to, given that the situation is
> reasonably similar?

Because the situation is completely dissimilar:
1) IP addresses are not very important
2) Arbitrators are not employees of the Wikimedia Foundation
3) It is not in Wikipedia's best interests to introduce ridiculous legal
hurdles that make it even harder to recruit people for a mostly
thankless volunteer job that we already have trouble filling reliably

-Mark