[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:56:09 UTC 2005

> Maybe the US State Department is just following the UN lead on this.
> The proportion of newspapers and websites using the English name is
> irrelevant.  The position of official Ivoirian sites is more influential.

not is isn't. Read what the MOS has to say.

> This is a racist slur for which you owe everyone an apology.

The french speaking people of the world are now a race? Uh okeey.

> Please avoid the use of abbreviations.  They only make your comments
> more difficult to read.

Manual of style Nameing conventions

> Determining the official name of a country is not a matter for voting.
> It is a sure way of having facts overwhelmed by ignorance.

We are not decideing it's offcial name. We are deciding how many
people on wikipedia are incaple of following naming policy. Current
total is 21. The nameing conventions say  "article naming should give
priority to what the majority of English speakers would most easily
recognize, with a reasonable minimum of ambiguity, while at the same
time making linking to those articles easy and second nature."

--
geni