[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:54:56 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org> wrote:
> As both of you would face legal recourse if you were to divulge private
> information in your day jobs, what do you think the opposition to having
> a comparable legal agreement between the Foundation and people with
> checkuser is due to, given that the situation is reasonably similar?

If I were in their situation: the volunteer relationship.

If you're not paying me, then you get my word and the law.  If those
aren't sufficient, make me an employee and pay me.

IMO, such a legal agreement would be part of an employment contract
and would require compensation.  Legally, a contract requires
compensation anyway.

I suspect the Wikimedia Foundation does not want such a legal
relationship anyway.

-Matt