[WikiEN-l] Totally unscientific investigation...

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:43:48 UTC 2005

Indeed, it should never be forgotten that the target audience for
encyclopedias is skewed towards younger people. Encyclopaedias have
traditionally been marketed as an investment in your childs future.

Articles on Pokemon and suchlike may be of much more interest to teenagers
than to many on this forum but it should never be forgotten that these
things are of interest to many people.

One of the reasons for Wikipedia's success in my view is that we cover stuff
that other encyclopedias don't. According to the Yahoo Buzz Index, (
http://buzz.yahoo.com/overall/) the top five searches are: Paris Hilton, 50
Cent, Lost, Mariah Carey and Harry Potter.

We have articles on those topics. The traditional encyclopedias don't.
That's one of the reasons why we're the most popular encyclopedia in the
world.

Regards

Keith Old

Keith Old