[WikiEN-l] Re: [HelpDesk-l] permission

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Nov 13 04:02:41 UTC 2005

Matt Brown wrote:
> Good point. I also have had several ... not-quite-fights ... with users who
> either attempt to replace free-licensed pictures with supposedly 'better'
> "fair use" pictures, or who object to my removing a fair-use picture in
> favor of a free one. They complain that the free ones look 'amateurish'
> because they're not studio shots.

Then I think that you and I are in total agreement on this issue. :-)

Fair use is a good legal doctrine.  It says "look here, the extent of
copyright has limits".  We should support that and rely on it as needed.

We should also reward people emotionally for doing great original work
and releasing it for free.

--Jimbo