[WikiEN-l] Probation Committee

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:17:10 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, Snowspinner <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we really need more committees and projects? Couldn't we get by
> with just a "mentorship" page? This sudden drive to factionalize,
> make committees, and make small and obscure rules pages
> ([[Wikipedia:Ivies]] being the most flagrant recent example) is just
> ridiculous.

I concur entirely.  Elections for directors, advisory committees,
Wikiproject boards -- the elections recently have been endless.  I
feel that much of the momentum of improving Wikipedia has recently
been lost by various users' megalomania and committee-mania.  If there
was advice given to users about how to do certain things (such as
fighting vandalism) and perhaps a list of users to whom questions
could be directed, this would save much time and might well also get
people down to the real business of writing an encyclopaedia [1].

Sam

[1] I have never written an FA from start to finish.