[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Committee members granted checkuser tool

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 13:12:27 UTC 2005

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
>>Seeing as there hasn't been much public discussion on this (at least on
>>the English-language Wikipedia) I thought it would be a good idea to let
>>you all know that Raul654, Fred Bauder, Kelly Martin, The Epopt and
>>Jayjg have all been granted access to the checkuser tool[1] (the tool
>>which allows for checking of sockpuppets by giving access to IP
>>addresses, including those of signed-in Wikipedians).
>

> My cents: I think this whole checkuser shit is totally re-tarded. It's
> a grave violation of privacy. I have accounts on Wikipedia only
> because I care about my anonymousity (otherwise I would edit as an
> "anon"). I do NOT wan't someone to connect my contributions to my
> identity. Especially not someone I don't know and who identifies
> itself with a random and totally meaningless userid!
>
> Dumb dumb dumb. Stupid stupid stupid.
>
> --
> mvh Björn

Hi Björn,

Checks should be done only on accounts doing abusive edits to Wikipedia
(vandalism, insults, spam, defaming etc...)

If checks are done without any relevant reasons related to abuse, then
those checks are abusive and the person with the checkuser access should
(will) lose it.

The other point is "if you have 3 accounts and do nothing abusive with
these three accounts, and if for some mysterious reason an editor with
check user access publicly indicates these three accounts are owned by
only one person", then, providing the information is abusive and the
person with checkuser access should (will) lose it.

Note that what is "abusive" in having several accounts may vary
depending on wikis. Generally, getting involved in an edit war under
several names is abusive. Generally, voting several times under
different accounts is abusive. However, using one identity to edit
articles in history and another to edit articles related to sex is not
seen as abusive.

Ant