[WikiEN-l] Category:Soviet spies

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 02:27:02 UTC 2005

On 13/11/05, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Andrew Gray wrote:
>
> >(There's also a [[Statutory rapists]] subcat, which I'm less
> >comfortable with having - it's rarely a defining feature of anyone in
> >the same way as being a convicted rapist is - but also less worried
> >about; the very nature of the term means you have to be convicted!)
> >
> I'm kind of uncomfortable with this for the same reason, and it applies
> more generally.  In particular, [[Category:Statutory rapists]] sounds
> more accusatory than [[Category:People convicted of statutory rape]],
> which, to my ears at least, sounds more neutral and matter-of-fact.  Of
> course in non-controversial situations the plain term is fine
> ([[Category:Physicists]]), but in potentially controversial categories
> I'd prefer we word things a bit more carefully.

There's a mention on [[Wikipedia:Categorization of people]] of this
concept: "For some "sensitive" categories, it is better to think of
the category as a set of representative and unquestioned examples"

It's a nice idea, but I don't usually see it happening. Hmm hmm.

Digging around, there used to be - but, thank goodness, no longer is -
a Category:Pedophiles -
[[Wikipedia:Categories_for_deletion/Log/2005_July_3]]; there's a
[[Category:Child sex offenders]], but it is limited to convicts and
seems to be policed.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk