[WikiEN-l] People editing their own Wikipedia articles.

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Nov 11 16:34:10 UTC 2005

Christopher Larberg wrote:
> I don't see what's so bad about having subjects of articles edit their
> own articles. They may be able to add information unobtainable elsewhere
> (after all, you can't get a much better source than the subject matter
> his/herself).

One problem with this, one which I have faced myself, is that
information about myself which is unobtainable elsewhere is also
unverifiable and therefore can't be added.  Therefore, even when it is
at it's best (with unverifiable speculation removed), it's still a very
very strange representation of who I am.  (Though it has gotten better
over time as I have been more open with reporters about myself so that
there's more verifiable information out there.)

I think people should generally be discouraged from editing articles
about themselves, even though I have on occassion done it myself.  It is
a very very stressful thing to do for a person of goodwill.  I've no
interest in removing criticism of me or whatever, but still for the most
part I prefer to just NOT READ the article about me.

But reporters are always asking me about stuff they read in that
article, and if it's some totally made up original research (which
happens unfortunately often), I have to admit that, well, uh, the
Wikipedia article about me is just plain -wrong-.  And that's
embarassing too. :-)

--Jimbo