[WikiEN-l] disputing block: 69.108.172.162, lysdexia

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Nov 11 13:02:39 UTC 2005

On 9 Nov 2005 at 16:22, Autymn D.C. <lysdexia at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Anglo-Saxon?  No, it's English.  What people speak today is a mutt of
> English, Latin-French-English, and Greek-Latin-English.  And I'd write
> "pure" as "sheer".  A lone language has only one word for the same
> meaning.  Other words with the same meaning are from other languages,
> by space or time.  But none of writing this is making me feel better
> for being wrongfully kicked off Wikipedia by a liar for doing what I
> hold is riht.

English has been such a "mutt" since at least 1066, when the Norman
French mixed their language (already a "bastard" French mixed with
Norse) with an Anglo-Saxon which already had some "corruption" of
Latin from the Romans.  Are you attempting to undo a millennium of
linguistic intermixing?

And, while "riht" may have been the correct spelling of that word in
the form of English spoken 500 years ago, this too has changed, and
it is now considered wrong.

--
== Dan ==